Friday, March 25, 2011

Is it possible to wake up to our blindness?

I know that Jesus healed many blind people. We read these stories through out the Bible, but as we look around our churches today, as we look around our homes today, as we look at ourselves today, is it possible to wake up to our blindness? I know what I wrote yesterday. I know that I wrote that I was blind to my own true self. But now that I am beginning to see it and admit it to myself, will I change my pattern? Is it possible to get up off of my mat and walk into the discipleship of Christ. That action requires as much, if not more work, than the actual recognizing and admitting that we were blind. Once we "can see", we have responsibilities. We can no longer hide in our own comfortable little world. We can no longer serve and service our own needs and ourselves. We have to care about "the other" and let go of ourselves.

Using myself as an example here again, and yes this is painful for me to do, was/is my working at the church 4 or 5 evenings a week (and yes, I'm doing "church work" during those days as well, and that is not counting Sundays) because there is really work that needs to be done or is it because I have this innate need that needs to be filled? I am sure that if you ask me, my wife, my children and 5 different people at the church, you will get just as many different answers. Of course mine will be the only one that is correct, but therein lies the issue. Once we see the need for adjustment in our life, can we do it? I am only kidding about my answer being the only correct one, most probably all the answers have a very large vein of truth in them. That is when the community has to come together to help find the best solution. Remember, we don't live on an Island. And that my friends, can be even scarier than putting one's thoughts on the internet. Relying on the community to help make decisions means that we let go of some of the control we have over our lives. It sounds hard, it is hard, but it is part of the "waking up" process.

No comments: