Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fasting to grow

"Let our avowed intent this Lent be to fast from...whatever else dwarfs and hurts the soul." (Holy Island, page 19.)

A long time ago, back at my home parish of St. Paul's, Kingsport, during the first year I was in EFM, wow, I don't even remember the year now, there was a lady who gave up negative thoughts for Lent.  I will never forget her.  She was a jewel.  She was one of the most loving women I have ever met. She is one of those people that you really don't think of as having "negative thoughts", but to hear her tell her story, did she.  Now, I am not going to break the confidentiality of EFM, but suffice it to say that she really struggled with her Lenten discipline that year.

Think for a minute how many times a day we have a negative thought.  These thoughts can be about ourselves or others.  Think for a minute or two about what happens to us when we string four or five of these negative thoughts together in one day.  Then think about having four or five bad days in a row.  It can really "dwarf and hurt the soul."

It is the intent of Lent that whatever our Lenten discipline or form of fasting upon which we decide to endeavor, we will claim it as a life changing discipline.  We should choose a discipline that we can live with once Lent is over.  We should choose a discipline that will change who we are, especially before God, not just for 40 days, but for the rest of our life.

Are we ready for our Lenten fast to touch us as Kennedy suggests?  He says, "The lasting results, the outward and visible consequences of such a chosen fast, must indicate that those who have chosen it have been deeply and permanently dyed by their experience." (p. 18).  Are you ready for what a true and well intentioned Lenten fast can do?  Or more personally, am I?  In what ways will I  be changed during this Lent by the study, prayer and discernment that I am willingly undertaking?  Do I trust God to lead me?  Do I trust me to follow God?  Will my spiritual growth be enough to overcome my childlike insecurity?

No comments: