Saturday, March 12, 2011

Holding 'fast' to your Faith

"[B]ut bodily discipline and spiritual growth must lead to another aspect of this third point, namely, to resist successfully the temptation to grow weary of well doing and chuck the whole business." (Holy Island, pages 16-17.)


There will be a time on our spiritual journey when we will think we have arrived.  Don't be fooled!  Nourishing our spiritual life is a continual, life long process.  If we stop nourishing, then we start mal-nourishing!  Life is a constant discernment of where God is calling you to be, what God is calling you to do, and how God is calling you to do it.  We should never reach a place in our spiritual lives where we feel as if we know we have made it or know we have learned everything there is to know.  That is giving in to the temptation of well doing. To constantly learn, discern and digest will allow you to grow "fast" in your faith.  In this sense, I am using "fast" in the sense of "anchoring" as Kennedy refers in today's reading.  The more we can ask ourselves the tough questions about our faith and honestly answer them, even when the answer is "I don't know," then the stronger our faith can become and the more of a foothold we will have in our faith journey.

When I felt called to be a priest in the Episcopal Church, my spiritual growth didn't stop happening then and I didn't know everything there is to know about being a priest in the church on the day I was ordained to the priesthood.  Likewise, I did not stop discerning God's call in my life.  When I became the Rector of St. Paul's, Smithfield, my discernment didn't stop either.  I served God in Smithfield, then God, and the people of Mequon, called me to serve as the Rector of St. Boniface Parish. I've just learned that I've been called to serve on the Task Force on Health Insurance Parity and on the Diocesan Communications Committee for the Diocese of Milwaukee. My discernment doesn't stop. At some time in the future, I will be called to serve somewhere other than St. Boniface. God only knows.  Your call to serve may change, but our faith can be steadfast.  I have a strong faith that God will call me and place me to serve where God needs me and wants me to serve.  It is my responsibility to remain steadfast in my daily study of scripture and prayer. As odd as it may be, I am thankful for the wording of the mission statement of St. Boniface: "To know God and to seek an understanding of His evolving plan for us." As we grow, God will use us in different ways. Hold fast to your faith and see where God takes you, takes us, next!

As you can see, all of the "fasting" is lived out in a multi-layered community.  So maybe this Lent, you will learn to 'fast'...stand fast, or firm, or grow more firm in your faith.  Give your life an anchor.  Begin a daily study or prayer time.  Constantly discern where God wants you to be and how he may help you to get there...

No comments: