Sunday, April 3, 2011

A life without the Bible?

Can you imagine? I just can't do it. I admit it, I am spoiled! I can't imagine a life without the Bible.

I have often said I would love to live in England in the time of Henry VIII. I love that period of history. I love the way the church changed. I love the politics behind the beginnings of the Church of England and the split away from the Roman Catholic Church. But, it wasn't until reading Holy Island that I realized that there really wasn't a Bible for most of the common people during this time...and I consider myself a history buff...of this time period!

I'm trying to imagine for a moment what it must have been like to be one of the people to first receive a copy of the Bible written in their language...and being able to understand what the words on the page of the Holy Bible were saying to them without needing someone to translate. What an awesome experience that must have been.

We too can feel that experience, especially if it has been a while since we have picked up that faithful book of Holy Scriptures...try it, there are lot of wonderful stories that will welcome us home just like the long lost prodigal son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or just imagine being the first person to read a book -- any book -- for the first time. I can't imagine life without the Bible and books in general!